Ok. This is going to be a gushy post, because I Love this pattern! Sewaholic’s Belcarra Top pattern is really such a simple looking top, but it fits so nicely without darts, and is cute and flattering. Depending on what material you use, you could dress it up with jeans, pair it with a skirt for work, tuck it into a maxi skirt… possibilities are endless… I am in love!
The first one I made from a cheap semi-sheer white crepe-like material, just to check how the fit would work. Honestly, I have no idea what the material is (although it does smell like something my nanna used to wear?)- I mean, obviously I can hazard a guess of knit vs cotton vs satin vs chiffon etc, but when buying from a market where there is nothing on the selvedge and the woman you buy it off doesn’t speak English, its pretty much a guess…
I’m not sure why, but I measured myself straight after a massive dinner with a padded bra on, (and I was just thinking that I’d gotten a bit fatter…) so my measurements were just pushing me out of the sz6 range, so I made a size 8, which ended up much too big on me. Since the material was a bit sheer, I used french seams throughout, after seeing Chantal from A handmade wardrobe doing the same with a similar fabric for this top – makes the inside look so lovely, just takes a lot longer to do properly. This was only my 2nd time doing french seams, and I was so impressed with myself on how they turned out – MUCH nicer than the first time!! 🙂
Anyway, love the top, just a wee bit big, slipping off my shoulders (especially since the fabric is also a little slippery) and is a bit too roomy around the hips. If I get time (and the motivation) I think I’ll unpick the neckline and take in the shoulders a little, then it will probably be more wearable!
So second attempt, I made the size 6 in a Valori Wells cotton voile that I had – I only had a bit over a metre since I had already made a Sorbetto top with this fabric, but managed to squeeze this top out of it! I just didn’t have enough fabric for the neckline facing strip so I used a piece of pink satin bias binding – and it turned out really nicely (you can see that in the pic above!!)
I found a lovely pink cotton/linen fabric yesterday, so think I will make another in that, with the pocket & turned up sleeve cuff. I think this could be nice in a knit fabric as well….
Speaking about knits, I found a gorgeous watermelon pink jersey knit the other day at the market (ummm yes, I have a pink fabric problem…), so I am almost finished a 3/4 sleeve Moneta dress (Colette P, perfect for my Brisbane trip next week! Today’s project is to finish that off, and hopefully get a maxi skirt out of the rest of the material! Off to the machine!! 🙂